Volvo Photo Locations Part 22
Statue of Baron Baltzar von Platen (1766 – 1829) in the Main Square, Motala, Östergötland, Sweden. Von Platen was the driving force behind the construction of the Göta Canal. He employed Thomas Telford in 1808 to survey the route, which he did in just three weeks.
Motala is a locality and the seat of Motala Municipality, Östergötland County, Sweden with 29,823 inhabitants in 2010. It is the third largest city of Östergötland, following Linköping and Norrköping. Motala is situated on the eastern shore of Lake Vättern and is regarded as the main centre of both the Göta Canal and the surrounding lake region.
Main sights to visit when in Motala:
- The Motala Motor Museum contains cars and many hundreds of other period pieces, including motorbikes, racing cars, radios, record players, tools, and many, many, other objects from the first 70 or so years of the 20th century.
- The Swedish Broadcasting Museum with the twin radio towers.
- The Göta Canal with locks.
- The old Motala Works with museums and exhibitions in historical buildings.
- Motala Church, dating back to the 13th Century.
- Motala Museum at Charlottenborg Castle.
- Varamon beach.
- Baltzar Von Platen’s gravesight, located along the Göta Canal