Volvo Photo Locations Part 79
The building pictured above is the Sahlgrenska huset.
On the night of January 14, 1746 a fire that destroyed 196 private houses and farms in this area. The plot had then one building made of solid stone, bought in 1721 by Jacob Sahlgren († 1736). The house was damaged, however, so important to widow Brigitta Sahlgren, decided to build a new one, which was finished in 1753. The drawings were probably carried out by the city architect Bengt Wilhelm Carlberg. The next owner was a merchant Carl Emil Billqvist (1817-1895), who in 1856 ordered from architect Adolf Edelsvärd plans for a renovation. According to Bill Qvist’s wish they changed the facade towards the water, entrance stairs with lampposts and railings of cast iron. Large change where made to the building.
Today, Göteborg city owns the house since 1905. A major facade renovation carried out in 1991 and 1994, there was an interior remodeling. Västra Götaland Regional Council (or Regionens Hus – Västra Götalandsregionen) is located in this building today. Region Västra Götaland’s assignment is to contribute to a thriving Västra Götaland which is a good place to live and work. It must be a good place for future generations to grow up in. Region Västra Götaland is governed by democratically elected politicians and with just over 50,000 employees is one of Sweden’s biggest employers.