International Volvo Photo Locations Part 471
The Dronning Alexandrines Bro or Queen Alexandrine bridge is a road arch bridge that crosses Ulv Sund between the islands of Zealand and Møn in Denmark.
The bridge is named after Queen Alexandrine, consort of King Christian X of Denmark. It was the main road connection between the islands of Zealand and Møn until the Farø Bridges were opened in 1985, which now provide a road link to the western end of Møn.
Construction commenced 1939 and the bridge was opened on 30 May 1943. It is of steel arched construction, having 10 piers in the sea from which the arches spring. The designer of the bridge is Anker Engelund (1889–1961). He was a civil engineer, professor and rector of the Copenhagen Polytechnic educational institution from 1941 to 1959. “He created a classic arch bridge whose superstructure of a large steel arch in the center and ten iron arches, below the roadway lie is worn”.
The Bridge is 745.5 metres long and 10.7 metres wide. The central arch span is 127.5 metres, and the maximum clearance to the sea is 26 metres.
On the western side, the bridge carries crossbars, which carry a single-circuit 50 kV-powerline to Møn island.
Since 2011, the Queen Alexandrine Bridge has been depicted on the 500 kroner note issued by Danmarks Nationalbank.
Møn is an island in south-eastern Denmark. Møn is one of Denmark’s most popular destinations for tourists with its white chalk cliffs, countryside, sandy beaches and the market town of Stege. In June 2017, UNESCO designated Møn as Denmark’s first biosphere reserve, consisting of “a series of islands and islets in the southern Baltic Sea, over approximately 45,118 hectares. Its landscapes include woodlands, grasslands, meadows, wetlands, coastal areas, ponds and steep hills.