International Volvo Photo Locations Part 281
The U.S. Custom House is located on 555 Battery Street in the Financial Distric in San Francisco in USA. The building block is enclosed by the Battery Street, Jackson Street and Washington Street. The US Custom House was built to house offices of the United States Customs Service.
In 1905, Eames and Young, a St. Louis architectural firm, won a national design competition for a new custom house. William S. Eames and Thomas Crane Young designed the building in the Beaux Arts Classicism style, which was popular as part of the City Beautiful movement that sought to create more appealing urban centers.
The U.S. Custom House is an excellent example of the Beaux Arts Classicism style of architecture, which is characterized by classical yet exuberant details. Many important federal buildings were designed in this style during the late 19th century and early 20th century. Some elements of Beaux Arts Classicism that are found on the U.S. Custom House include a symmetrical facade and articulated entrances that are highlighted with granite entablatures and carvings. The main entrance on Battery Street has a grouping of sculptural figures over the cornice.
The imposing six-story building is faced in pale granite from Raymond, California. The concrete foundation of the building rests on timbers from the hull of the steamship Georgian, a vessel from San Francisco’s gold rush days that was abandoned. The building essentially has a U-shaped plan that surrounds an oval, two-story pavilion that contains the post office and Custom Hall.
Like many buildings with Beaux Arts Classicism features, the facade is divided into three horizontal zones. The lower zone is a rusticated granite base with deeply recessed joints that extends across the first story. The middle zone is characterized by smooth granite with windows topped with pediments and cartouches (decorative ovals). The upper zone is a recessed fifth story, where stylized eagle motifs separate the windows, and parapet.